Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Baby/Toddler Wearing

When Curtis was born, I didn't know a whole lot about babywearing.  In fact, I don't think I had ever heard that term before.  I just knew I wanted a Baby Bjorn to carry him in while I was shopping, so that is what I got.  Yes, it worked and he liked it, but it was such a pain bc if I would bend over to do any cleaning, he would dangle and it was just not as sturdy as I would have liked.  I still kept it and I didn't buy anything else.

When he was 16 months old, I experimented and made a Mei Tai carrier.  It was terrible... yes, functional, but it was way too big in the body, but if I'm in a pinch, I'll put it on with Wesley.

Before I had Wesley, I was looking into more "true" baby wearing items.  I sought a local company called Two Momma's Designs and decided to purchase what they call a buckle tai.  Very similar to an Ergo and since I knew a lot of people like that style, I decided to try it and purchase one of the buckle tai carriers for myself.  I LOVED it.  Yes, I tried it on with Curtis on my back at 26 weeks pregnant.  Anyone who knows me knows that my belly was NOT small, so it was a bit awkward to put on while pregnant.  However it was very comfy and I knew I'd love it.

Fast forward to when Wesley was born.  I put him in it as soon as we were home from the hospital.  I remember wearing him down to the pool for the Labor Day picnic.  I put him in all cozy with his legs tucked in and he really loved it.   A couple weeks went by though and he decided that he wanted to try to "launch" out of the top.  I guess he was just too active to be carried with his feet tucked in.  He was by no means a lazy newborn.

Long story short, I love it, he loves it and we still use it at least 3-4x a week.  Here's a picture or 2 of him in the carrier.





I recently went to a cloth diapering/baby wearing party near my house.  They had cloth diapers for sale and some carriers.  They had a Moby 1/2 off and I decided to try it out.  I also love this.  I just wish I had it earlier because it's really good for tiny babies.  Wesley loves it though bc I can let him face out or wear him on my back a little easier than with my buckle tai.

I love baby wearing.  With that being said, I plan to wear Wesley till he refuses to be worn anymore LOL!  I will probably keep the carriers so I can use them for my daycare needs.






What carriers do you have that you just love?

1 comment:

  1. I have a wrap like the Moby that I got when Clarke (my second) was 4 months old. I wish I'd had it when he was little, too! He hit 20 lbs at 6 months and it was just not the right style for him after that. For this new baby I want to get a buckle tai (or a half buckle, still debating), probably from TMD also. I'm thinking it will be great for nursing while taking 2 other ones out and about!

    ReplyDelete